Happy Memorial Day!! The BolderBOULDER was this weekend. It was great. It’s the worlds largest 10k road race. Takes place in Boulder, CO. With over 54,000 participants, it went amazingly smooth and efficient; couldn’t believe it. Yours truly finished inside the top thousand. With that said, the race personally for me was awful. My body started to fell apart right from the start. I never knew what role Altitude plays in endurance sports. Right from the start my body was hit with no O2, and I could feel the lactic acid begin to produce and circulate. With each mile I could feel my body, and my race for that matter, begin to shut down. I finished over eight minutes slower then I ordinarily would for that distance; when we’re talking about a 6.2 mile race, that means over a minute per mile slower…ouch. I guess that means +1 for altitude training; -1 for sea level training.
Molly’s sister, Betsy, ran it too. Her first 10k road race…EVER. Go Betsy!!!!! For better or for worse, she didn’t even train for the event; she just went out and ran it, and pretty well at that. Kudos Bets!
Another fun thing, I got to meet Chrissie Wellington. She is perhaps the nicest and sweetest person in the world, yes the world; and so humble. When I introduced myself, and became speechless, she responds with (in her cute English accent) “Oh my goodness you’re speechless, you shouldn’t be, talk to me.” As we chatted for a few moments, she continued to ask ME all sorts of questions about my race, and my sports, upcoming events for the season. I couldn’t believe it, I had so many questions for her (the world’s fastest long course triathlete), and she was asking me questions. That's all for me. Until my next post.

No comments:
Post a Comment