It has been some time since my last post. So much has happened since then. I have moved apartments, done two triathlons, traveled to Ohio and Colorado for two weddings and a vacation, and got engaged. I have gone white water rafting (class four rapis) and fly fishing for the first time ever. I went for a 30 mile ride followed by a run 1.5 miles up a 1,200 foot incline to the most beautiful lake and waterfall overlooking a mountain range. Plus so much more. The whole time I have been able to keep up with my training for the most part which is a complete puzzle to me. For the most part, training is going well. I feel like some days have taken a hit because of too much going on.
There are days where I have done so much, that by the time I get to bed it feels like morning was ages ago. So, what do I write about first? How about my first two triathlons ever...
First: Flat As A Pancake Sprint Tri: June 27th
This was an awesome event, and even better first event to introduce triathlon. You could definatelt tell it was a local event, which are always the best. It was out in Staten Island. The swim was in the Ocean. For never having practiced the swim, and not having a wetsuit, I guess it went as well as could be expected. The water was freezing, and saltier then heck. I finished quite poorly in that leg. I hustled out the water, and into transition, grabbed the bike quickly and out T1 I went. I hopped on the bike and started full steam ahead. I began to start picking them off one at a time. The bike was going well for me, and my body was feeling great. Looks like being an endurance runner has helped condition the legs for triathlon quite well. I kept biking, fueling, and hydrating and eventually parked the bike in T2, slipped on the racers and was passing through RunOut in no time. The run was an 5k out-&-back. Legs felt great, and I was flying through the k's like no ones business. I rounded the turn-around and headed for the finish. I was able to negative-split the run, which is always a great thing. I made it to the finish and there was tons of cheering, and an all around great feel in the air. It was fantastic. I reflected over the race, and came to a few conclusions, I didn't stop smiling the entire time, tiathlon is awesome, really, really awesome, the community is cool and chill, and I suck at the swim; and I mean suck.
We stayed for the awards ceremony, and I got a nice little surprise, a trophy for 2nd place in my divission. Not bad, huh? It was a great first experience with triathlon, completely hooked.
Second: Caesar Creek's Wheelie Fun Triathlon: July 5th
The was a great event taking place in Waynesville, Ohio. Again, totaly a local event, with homemade PB&J sandwiches (in a bucket) served at the end. This time, the swim was in a nice warm, gentle lake. I am still bad at the swim though, but at least this time it wasn't as painful; despite the fact it was double the distance of the first one. Again, I speedily ran out of the water and into T1. I donned the helmet and shades, grabbed the bike, and out T1 I went. I hopped on the bike and was off. I biked, hydrated, and made my way through the VERY hilly course and sped my way into T2. I ditched the helmet and the bike, slipped into my run shoes, and out T2 I went. As I rounded the first turn, I caught a glimpse of the athletes ahead of me ducking into the woods. WHAT?!?! The website made no mention of trail running. Oh well, can't do anything about it now, lets go on the adventure. So, I headed into the woods, and made my way down the single track run course. When I passed people, it was in calf and knee deep wheat grass, or on a steep, gravely ledge. I was on an all out cross country run course. Made my way around the turn around point, and headed for the finish. I was surprisingly feeling great, and picked up the pace some more. I made it to the finish line in great time, and celebrated with some PB&J and watermelon...mmmmmm. I'm telling you, you can't beat local races. I finished with the second fastest run time, inside the topr 50 overall, and 4th place in my age group. Triathlon seems to be going pretty well for me so far; I am hooked.
I learned a few things this race too. 1. I will always try and keep local races in my seasonal schedule; 2. Websites sometimes withhold major details about their course, like single track runs, and incredibly hilly bikes; 3. I don't stop smiling when I do triathlon (no matter how much pain I am going through) and 4. I still SUCK at swimming :).
Well, I think that is enough writing for now, I am sure you need to get going. I will write more later about all of my recent adventures. Until then...
Monday, July 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment