My photo
I'm an endurance athlete!

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Starting 2013

So the new year has officially started. What does this mean? Mostly a loss of time; but it also means a chance at new races and performances. As we know, I need to have a better season if I am going to move forward in this sport.

One big change that I made for 2013 is hiring a private coach. I can't explain how excited I am about this change. I signed none other then Ramon Bermo. If you have been following and reading my blog for a while, you undoubtedly remember me talking about him before. I wanted to go with someone I am comfortable, and someone who knows how to push and motivate me. Coach Bermo was the one who re-ignited my running flame, and motivated me down this endurance road some 6 years ago. I decided, having performed well under his tutelage in the past, he was confidently the way to go. I had a meeting with him on Tuesday night to officially hash everything out for the season; training styles, regimen, race schedule and approach, etc. I thought I was excited before, now I am pumped and motivated. Our meeting ended up being the better part over 90 minutes,

If I have any advice for hiring a coach it would be two key things. You want someone you are comfortable with, and someone who you know has your back throughout the season. Remember, this person is your objective look at yourself. They will clearly see your goals, progress and necessities, when you focus, opinions and motivation are fogged. For me, it was important that my coach both understands and supports my goals. Once I and we established my clear set and order of goals, his concern wasn't 'can this be done', but rather 'how are we going to get this done'. That is what you need in a coach.

That last paragraph actually touches on another great topic too; goals, both figuring out, and setting them up. Although, that is quite a loaded topic; so I think I will save that for my next entry. I'll end this one here. Talk soon folks. please email with any questions and comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment