This has been a season of podium finishes, fun, follies, and some all out failures. From, Florida 70.3, to Long Distance World Championships in Spain I have seen a ton and learned a lot.
If you've read or heard about my Spain trip, you know I learned a major lesson on a major platform; always, always, no matter how sure you are, look at the course maps carefully and study. Going to a race thinking you are doing one distance, and finding out you are indeed doing something you have vastly under trained for is a rough lesson. In my case this was also a very costly one!
I was met with some more schooling in Florida 70.3 at the start of my season. Without a firm grasp on my new nutritional plan and needs, coupled with extreme heat, I learned that nutrition is key. Regardless of expertise, you need to have a definitive nutrition plan, stick to it, and know how to alter it under different or unexpected circumstances.
I also raced in Maine this summer. While I had a podium finish, I definitely feel I could have done better. One take-away is that when I'm feeling good, I can push it some more towards the end. I feel I was mentally disconnected a bit from my body this season. I didn't gauge as well, my pain threshold/tolerance levels. This is only something I can work on during training and speed work.
I'll write more later about over all lessons and how I plan to alter training for this coming season. Although, all in all, it was a good season, with so many good lessons.
Until my next entry!

No comments:
Post a Comment